By Sports Dietitian, Molly Kimball
Fellow New Orleanians are gearing up for the Crescent City Run this weekend. And with all the hustle and bustle involving race preparation, it’s easy to forget what matters most when it comes to a long run. Hydration! Luckily, Shipt offers a speedy solution for all our race day woes.
Eight 8-oz. cups of water has been the standard hydration “rule” for decades, but the reality is that hydration requirements can vary widely depending on body weight, activity level, and the rest of your diet.
A more accurate way to determine how much fluid you need is to divide your weight (in pounds) by two, and that’s approximately how many ounces of fluid you need daily. Add an additional 16 ounces for every pound of sweat lost during exercise or work outdoors in hot temperatures.
In addition to keeping us safe by regulating our body temperature in this Spring and summertime heat, staying well hydrated is essential for maintaining optimal energy levels, mood, and alertness. Drinking plenty of fluids can even help to fend off cravings, since being even slightly dehydrated can leave us feeling sluggish, looking for carb-rich foods as a quick pick-me-up, when the reality is that we simply need more fluids.
Molly’s Top 5 Picks for Hydration available via Shipt.
- Target Simply Balance Sparkling – These are easy, straight out of the can hydration for the girl or go on-the-go! It could double as a low sugar mixer for a cocktail or serve with a fruit garnish as a mocktail. My favorite flavors are Grapefruit and Ginger Peach.
- Zico Coconut Water – Between the sodium and potassium, this is a great natural source of electrolytes.
- NUUN Tablets – A low sugar, low calorie tablet you can add to your water bottle for added hydration. Only 7 grams of sugar per tablet.
- Vega Protein Shake in Vanilla – 20 grams of protein, low sugar, and a fabulous source of electrolytes. A delicious after-run pick!
- 24 Pack of Water – The ultimate source for hydration and with Shipt, they do all the heavy lifting for you! Have it delivered straight to your door to avoid any excuse not to stay hydrated this Spring and Summer.