Latkes are an important piece of the celebration of Hanukkah. These crispy potato pancakes are traditionally fried in oil to symbolize the oil that burned for 8 days to inspire what is now celebrated as Hanukkah. Serve with applesauce or sour cream and enjoy!
Crispy Potato Latkes
2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
1 tablespoon grated onion
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup oil for frying
1. In a large colander stacked on top of a mixing bowl, add the potatoes and onions. Let drain for 4 minutes.
2. Drain the liquid left in the mixing bowl until only a starchy paste is left.
3. Remove the potatoes and onions from the colander and add to the paste.
4. Mix the potatoes, onions, starchy paste, flour, butter, and salt. Pepper to taste.
5. In a large skillet, heat a layer of oil.
6. Spoon even mounds of the mixture into the skillet about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with a spatula.
7. Fry the Latkes for 6 minutes – 3 minutes on each side – or until golden brown.
8. Serve with applesauce, cottage cheese, or sour cream.
Hungry yet? Get everything you need for your Hanukkah feasting delivered with Shipt grocery delivery.