Roasted chicken is a must-have in Jewish households. Once you’ve mastered your chicken, you can create meals around it as an entree, use the chicken stock for Matzo Ball Soup, or keep leftovers for chicken salad – the possibilities are endless.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 whole chicken (3 to 5 pounds)
1 lemon, zested and sliced
6 garlic cloves, peeled
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 large onion, cut into quarters
2 large carrots, peeled and cut in pieces
3 ounces fresh parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and place rack in the middle, placing the chicken on the rack. Set aside.
2. Mix 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil, garlic powder, and paprika together. Set aside.
3. Rub the inside of the chicken with pepper and add lemon, garlic cloves, and parsley to the chicken cavity.
4. Rub oil under the skin, over the entire breast. Tie the legs together with butcher’s string.
5. Place carrots and onions around the bottom of the pan in ⅓ inch of water.
6. Roast chicken for 45-55 minutes, turning once, or until meat thermometer reads 165℉.
Ready for dinner? Get everything you need to create this roasted chicken and more for your Hanukkah feast delivered with Shipt grocery delivery.