Sufganiyot (pronounced soof-GAH-NEE-yote), or jelly doughnuts, are a traditional part of Hanukkah. The oil used to fry these tasty treats symbolizes the oil that burned on the menorah for 8 days many years ago, sparking the beginning of the celebration we honor today.
Grab your favorite flavor of jelly or jam and learn how to make the perfect Sufganiyot.
Sufganiyot (Jelly Doughnuts)
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
¼ cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
5 cups of oil for frying, plus more for bowl
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup smooth jam or jelly (any flavor or multiple flavors)
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, yeast packet, and water. Cover and allow to rest until the mixture becomes frothy.
2. In a large bowl, mix the remaining flour and sugar with butter, salt, nutmeg, and eggs. Once combined, slowly incorporate the yeast mixture until a smooth, sticky dough is formed.
3. On a well-floured surface, knead until the dough bounces back when poked. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
4. Punch down the dough and transfer to a light floured surface. Roll until about ¼ inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cutter, stamp out dough rounds and place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes.
6. Add oil to a frying pan over medium heat until the temperature reached 350℉. Meanwhile, line another baking sheet with paper towels.
7. Using a spatula or a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the dough rounds into the oil, frying until golden brown on each side (about 50 seconds per side). Transfer to paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
8. While warm, roll each fried dough round in sugar and set aside.
9. Add jam or jelly to a piping bag with 1/4 inch tip. Using a wooden skewer, puncture the side of each doughnut and pipe about 1 teaspoon of jam or jelly inside.
10. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Ready for something sweet? Get everything you need for these traditional doughnuts, and more, delivered with Shipt grocery delivery.