From the Shipt Kitchen: Ashley Mincey and Emily Frisella Show You How to Master Healthy Cooking
If there is one thing that MasterChef Finalist Ashley Mincey and Fit Home & Health author Emily Frisella know, it’s that what you eat matters. It’s not always easy to eat healthy when you’re on-the-go, but Ashley and Emily have cooked up three easy-to-make recipes that are healthy and packed with flavor.
Gear Up Your Gut Health – Curry Salmon Kabobs
- 1 lb raw salmon fillets
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp oil of your choice
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- Metal skewers
- Flatbread or sprouted grains bread
- Toppings: Alfalfa sprouts, butter lettuce, cilantro, pickled onions or pickled peppers
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil. Add baking sheet to the oven while it’s preheating.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ingredients for the marinade: yogurt, minced garlic, dill, lemon juice, oil, curry, smoked paprika, dried oregano, cumin and salt. Set aside some of the leftover yogurt for topping.
- To prepare the salmon, dice fillets into evenly sized 1-inch by 1-inch cubes.
- Toss the salmon in the marinade bowl, ensuring each cube is evenly coated. Cover with plastic wrap for at least 30 minutes.
- Chop the onion into thin slices.
- Add 3 cubes of marinated salmon to each metal skewer
- Use the remaining marinade to toss the onions until evenly coated.
- Carefully with oven mitts, remove the pan from the preheated oven and coat with cooking spray. Lay the skewers on one side of the pan, and the thinly sliced onions on the other.
- Discard any remaining marinade.
- Broil the salmon and onions on low for 5 minutes. Flip skewers and broil on high for 5 minutes.
- As the salmon finishes in the oven, toast the flatbread or sprouted grain bread slices.
- Remove pan from the oven and let cool for 1 minute.
- Place salmon skewers atop the toasted flatbread or sliced sprouted bread and remove skewers, arranging salmon cubes with the toppings of your choice. Then, drizzle some of the remaining yogurt on top and enjoy!
Tip: Serve up an impressive, yet quick marinade by whisking together yogurt, lemon juice, curry, dill, salt and pepper.
Fiber Forward Bites – Sautéed Greens Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 bunches of your
favoritedark leafy greens (dandelion greens, swiss chard, collard greens, kale or mustard greens)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 14 oz can chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon pepper or
- Olive oil
- 1 hard boiled egg
- In a bowl, combine the chickpeas, smoked paprika, lemon pepper or chili lime seasoning and olive oil, then pour over a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375ºF for 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and season lightly with salt immediately.
- Rinse the greens and pat dry. Roll each leaf up and slice them the short-way into thin ribbons (chiffonade).
- Add oil and minced garlic to a sauté pan over low heat.
- Add greens to the pan and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Once the greens are softened, remove from heat and add lemon juice or vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the greens to a bowl and top with roasted chickpeas and hard boiled egg.
Tip: Make your roasted chickpeas in bulk so that you can use them again later or eat them as a snack!
Healthy Indulgence –Oats So Berry Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup non-dairy milk or natural juice
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Vanilla extract, to taste
- Add mixed berries, non-dairy milk or juice, cinnamon and vanilla into a blender and blend well.
Tip: Add more healthy fats and protein to your smoothie with the combination of coconut oil and protein oats or nut butter and plain oats. For a sweeter smoothie, add in some agave, honey or a ripe banana.
Get everything you need to master healthy cooking at shipt.com!