Step aside chicken noodle soup, caldo tlalpeño is the soul-nourishing soup to cozy up with this season. Warming chipotle and rich homemade broth make this traditional Mexican chicken and vegetable soup a flavor experience.
“This is my favorite dish that my mom makes,” says Shipt Area Operations Manager, Aaron L., who shared his mom’s recipe with us. “It’s like traditional chicken soup but it has rice, chopped avocado, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and chipotle sauce. Every time I go home, I know that’s the meal waiting for me.”
Make Aaron’s mom proud and whip up a pot for dinner this weekend and enjoy the big flavor – and the start of soup season.
Makes 6-8 servings
3 chicken breasts
¼ onion chopped
2 tablespoons salt
1 avocado cubed
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup chipotle sauce
1 cup instant rice
1 bag corn tortilla strips
1. Season the chicken with salt, place in a saucepan, and add water to completely cover the chicken.
2. Set on the stove over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium for about 15 minutes.
3. Once done, remove the chicken to cool about 20 minutes and shred.
4. Return the shredded chicken to the saucepan of broth, add chipotle sauce, rice, and simmer until rice is done and you’re ready to serve.
5. Serve hot and garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Get these ingredients and more delivered with Shipt.