From the Shipt Kitchen: Stuffed Butternut Squash
Thanksgiving is still 20 days away, but we’re already craving our favorite holiday dinner staple – stuffing! This healthy and delicious take on the classic turkey day side dish has all the bold flavors of traditional stuffing we love without, weighing you down. Packed with quinoa, kale and chickpeas inside a butternut squash boat, it’s the perfect guilt-free fall dinner.
Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 2 large butternut squashes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup shallots, diced
- 1 medium leek, diced
- 6 cups kale, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- Orange zest, to taste
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Cut the butternut squashes in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon. Place the squashes open side up on a baking pan, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 425ºF for 45-55 minutes.
- In a pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil and add quinoa. Let the quinoa simmer for at least 20 minutes or until fluffy.
- In a large skillet, saute olive oil and shallots until brown. Add in leek and kale, allow to cook for four minutes before adding garlic, oregano, chickpeas, celery, orange zest, orange juice, walnuts, quinoa and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the inside of the squash, leaving an inch of flesh around the borders to create space for the quinoa mixture.
- Pro tip: save the rest of the butternut squash for other fun, fall recipes like butternut squash soup!
- Fill the butternut squash with the sauteed quinoa and veggies, top with Parmesan cheese and bake at 375ºF for 10 minutes.
- Allow the butternut squash to cool. Sprinkle pomegranate and pumpkin seeds over the top, serve and enjoy!
Get these ingredients, and more at shipt.com.