We’ve all heard that healthy meal prep can save you time and money. So, why aren’t we all doing it? We turned to our resident meal prep master, Associate Digital Merchandising Manager, Mary W. to get her expert meal prep tips.
Before you get started, Mary recommends snagging these glass storage containers because they’re microwavable, dishwasher safe, and just the right size. Not to mention, a splash of color makes everything better.
Worried about getting sick of eating the same things? We were too, but Mary says the secret to keeping meal prep interesting is creating your own variety. She often makes the same core ingredients and mixes it up by changing her bases, proteins, or veggies week by week.
This easy recipe takes about an hour, costs less than $30, and makes 6 meals. Oh yeah, it’s also vegetarian, healthy, AND satisfying. Cooking this way leaves plenty of time for Mary to crush it at work, keep up her fitness routine, and go on walks with her dog each day.
Pro-tip: Having fast and delicious meals on-hand will save you from making hunger-fueled decisions and keep you eating nutritiously. Your mind, body, and wallet will thank you.
Taco Salad and Burrito Bowl Meal Prep
Makes 4 burrito bowls and 2 taco salads.
1 package baby spinach
1 can black beans
1 white onion
3 bell peppers: 1 red, 1 green, 1 orange
1 bag frozen corn
1 package taco seasoning
1 package Spanish rice
1 package Beyond meat ground beef
1 package Mexican cheese blend
1 can salsa
Pro-tip: Save time and money (and clean up) with a frozen bell pepper stir fry and microwavable rice.
1. Preheat oven to 450℉.
2. Slice peppers and onion.
3. Place peppers and onions onto a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with taco seasoning.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned.
5. Brown Beyond Meat in a pan, mixing in taco seasoning as it cooks.
6. Prepare corn and rice according to package instructions. Set aside until cooled.
7. Drain black beans.
8. Build your meals!
1. Add a base of brown rice to one side of your meal prep container.
2. Add baby spinach to the other side.
3. Spoon meat alternative into the middle and top with black beans, corn, salsa, bell peppers, and onions. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
4. Add your favorite hot sauce for extra heat.
1. Cover the bottom of your container with baby spinach and spoon meat alternative on top.
2. Add a scoop of black beans, corn, salsa, cooked bell peppers, and onions.
3. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
4. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Feeling inspired? Get everything you need for this time-saving meal prep recipe delivered with Shipt grocery delivery.