This simple and tasty homemade animal crackers recipe is a fresh take on a classic favorite that lets the kids get in on the fun, too. The adorable and bite-sized crackers are just the right amount of sweet and buttery, and make for the perfect snack or lunch box treat. With an endless number of animal shapes, these yummy cookies will make every other snack seem irr-elephant!
Homemade Animal Crackers
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp of heavy cream
- Red food coloring
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, eggs, butter, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg into a fluffy dough using a hand mixer.
2. Knead dough into a ball using hands, and then chill for one hour.
3. Roll dough flat to roughly 1/4 inch thickness and cut out crackers using a mini animal cookie cutter.
4. Transfer cookies to parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 8-10 minutes.
5. In a separate bowl, use a spoon to mix together powdered sugar and heavy cream, then stir in red food coloring.
6. Dip the face of each animal cracker into the glaze and then return to the baking sheet.
7. Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
Is your family going wild for this DIY Animal Cracker recipe? Go to Shipt.com and get everything you need to feed your herd brought right to your door!