Growing up, Easter meant a lot of things: the onset of spring, Easter bonnets, the scent of Silly Putty, egg hunts, and perhaps most importantly: baking an Easter bunny cake with my mom and sister.
The cake was a perfect combination of spending time in the kitchen with my mom and sister and indulging in my already developed sweet tooth. My favorite part was decorating the cake with spice drops and jelly beans, always setting aside the liquorice-flavored ones for my grandfather to enjoy.
The end result was always an impressive crowd-pleaser, because the coconut covered up any flaws in our rather amateur frosting application. We proudly displayed the cake on the dining room table during Easter Sunday, a trophy of our time spent in the kitchen the day before.
It’s been a few years since I’ve made the beloved Easter bunny cake, so it was a joy to relive a long-lost baking memory baking it this year. How about baking it this year with the kiddos? It’s a bit easier than making a gingerbread house — no risk of exterior walls falling in(!!!) — and maybe a bit tastier!
Stock up on ingredients for the cake and get $3 off when you spend $10!
– 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist vanilla cake mix
– Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
– 2 containers Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
– 3 cups flaked coconut
– Red licorice rope
– Jelly beans
– Spice drops
How To Make:
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Spray or grease bottoms only of two 9-inch round cake pans. Make cake batter as directed on box.
2. Bake and cool cake as directed on box for two 9-inch rounds. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
3. Place one of the cooled cake rounds on serving tray. Cut other round cake as shown in photo and place ears and bow tie of the bunny in appropriate places on the cookie tray.
4. Carefully frost cake with frosting. Sprinkle coconut over cake.
5. Use licorice to outline bow tie and make whiskers and mouth on bunny. Use jelly beans for eyes, nose, and to fill in bow tie. Use jelly beans inside of ears. Be creative and have fun with decorating. Display and serve!
Get all of these ingredients delivered straight to your door so you can spend time baking with your family!
Thanks to General Mills for providing this delicious deal!