Nothing screams summer quite like freshly grilled skewers. Heading into the holiday weekend, we’re sharing two of our favorite meat and veggie combos – savory marinated chicken and zucchini, and Brussels sprouts wrapped in Oscar Mayer bacon. Whether you’re breaking out the grill before you say goodbye to summer or looking for a fun, easy meal on a busy weeknight, these simple skewers are a sure fire way to please your whole party.
Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
- 1 lb of Oscar Mayer bacon
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs of Brussels sprouts, halved
- Garlic powder
- Drizzle olive oil into frying pan over medium heat.
- Add Oscar Mayer bacon to pan. Partially cook and remove from heat.
- Add olive oil, Brussels sprouts, salt, pepper and garlic powder to pan. Cook on medium heat until golden brown.
- On a skewer, pierce one end of a strip of bacon. Pierce and place Brussels sprout half on top of the bacon, then pierce the same strip of bacon again to top the Brussels sprout to form a weave. Repeat to fill the skewer.
- Pierce and place a brussels sprout on top of the bacon, then pierce the same strip bacon again (to top the brussels sprout) to form a weave. Repeat with two to three more brussels sprouts, depending on the size of your skewers. Repeat to finish the rest of the bacon and brussels sprouts.
- Lay skewers on a baking sheet. Bake at 375º for 5-10 minutes or until bacon is fully cooked.
Chicken and Zucchini
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 zucchinis, cut into ribbons
- 2 red onions, cut into 1 in. pieces
- In a bowl, mix chicken, soy sauce, ½ cup olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and Dijon mustard. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Thread the ribboned zucchini on a skewer, weaving each ribbon over and under to create a wave effect. Add chicken and onion onto skewer. Alternate each ingredient until skewer is full.
- fold thinly slice zucchini into ribbon and pierce with skewer. Add chicken, red onion and repeat.
- Coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill for 8-10 minutes and enjoy!
Shop these ingredients, and more at shipt.com.