Shipt was born and raised in Birmingham, so we know the best part of family meals are the homemade buttermilk biscuits. Here in the South, every friend or family member has their own tips and tricks for making the perfect biscuit, so we asked for your favorites on Instagram. What’s the secret you ask? Frozen butter! When baked, frozen butter creates steam as it melts which helps form flaky layers. Whichever way you top them, with an egg for breakfast or fresh strawberries and cream for dessert, these biscuits are the perfect addition to your meal.
Perfecting the Southern Biscuit
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Using a box grater, grate the frozen butter into the bowl. With a pastry cutter, mix the butter into the flour until well combined.
- Add buttermilk to the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon to form dough. Once the dough begins to hold its shape, use your hands to form into a ball.
- Place dough onto a cutting board and halve. Stack one half of dough on top of the other half and flatten. Repeat this step two more times.
- Flatten dough to about one inch thick, making sure not to over-flatten as this may warm the butter. Then cut into six even pieces.
- Freeze for 10 minutes, then place the pieces onto a baking sheet and bake at 450ºF for 10-12 minutes.
- Top with strawberries and cream or add an egg for a delicious breakfast sandwich, and enjoy!
Are you ready to recreate the perfect southern biscuit at home? Get everything you need delivered straight to your door at Shipt.com!