You’ve struck gold! This double rainbow doughnut is exploding with vibrant colors from the inside out, and is almost too pretty to eat. The pot of gold at the end of this rainbow doughnut is the white chocolate that awaits in every bite. Covered in fruity cereal flakes, these double rainbow doughnuts are sure to impress everyone, leprechauns included, in your life!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- Gel food coloring (red, orange, green, blue, purple and pink)
- 2 cups white chocolate melts
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2 cups fruity cereal flakes
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour, milk, eggs, sugar, salt, lemon extract and yeast, then mix in butter to create the dough.
- Knead dough for 5-7 minutes, then refrigerate overnight (up to 24 hours).
- Separate the dough into six even portions and add food coloring to each. Mix well until the dough is fully colored, then form each piece into a ball.
- Flatten out each ball of dough, then stack the layers of dough in rainbow order (red, orange, green, blue, purple and pink).
- Use rolling pin to roll the stacked layers of dough into a large rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a knife, cut 1-inch wide vertical strips out of the dough. Use each strip of dough to form a doughnut, pinching together the ends to close the circle.
- Let the doughnuts rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Bring a pot of oil to a boil, then fry the doughnut for 15-20 seconds on each side.
- Once fried, transfer the doughnuts to a wire rack and allow them to cool.
- In a bowl, microwave the white chocolate melts and vegetable shortening until fully melted.
- Dip the face (top) of each doughnuts into the white chocolate melt.
- Arrange the fruity cereal flakes, by color, into semi circles on top of the white chocolate mixture to form a rainbow.
- Bookend each side of the cereal flake rainbow with a sprinkle of coconut flakes and enjoy!
Feeling lucky (and hungry)? Order your groceries from Shipt.com!