Crunchy on the outside and smooth on the inside, the macaron may seem like one tough cookie to make, but fear not! We’re breaking down the tips and tricks the pros use to make these delicious mini cookie sandwiches, including why you’re supposed to “drop them.” Though small in stature, they’re mighty and full of punchy flavors like lemon, blackberry and matcha. These macarons are sure to impress your family and friends and bring the perfect amount of color and flavor to the table at your next spring gathering!
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups almond flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Food coloring
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
- Blackberry jam
- Lemon curd
- Matcha powder
- In a food processor, blend together powdered sugar and almond flour, then sift into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together egg whites, gradually adding in the sugar. Beat the egg mixture until they begin to hold form – soft peaks will begin to form.
- Add 1/3 of the sifted flour mixture into the eggs and fold with a spatula. Once combined, add remaining flour mixture and fold together until smooth.
- Evenly distribute the batter into three bowls and add food coloring to each, then transfer each batter into a piping bag.
- Pipe 1 1/2 inch circles of batter onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Once finished piping, tap the pan hard on the surface – this is called dropping. Dropping removes all of the bubbles in the batter to ensure a smooth macaron!
- Let the macarons rest for 30 minutes, then bake at 300ºF for 17 minutes.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine butter, sugar, vanilla and cream until smooth to create the buttercream base.
- Evenly distribute the buttercream into three bowls and mix blackberry jam into one, lemon curd into the second and matcha powder into the third.
- Fill your macarons with their respective buttercream frosting and bon appétit!
That was easy! What’s easier? Getting everything you need for your next baking project delivered to your door from Shipt.com!